Today, blackjack is played online or at mobile sites by players all over the world, as well as at every mainland casino you’ll ever come across. But did you ever wonder when and where the game came from?
Blackjack is in fact one of the oldest casino games in existence, and it’s believed to have first originated back in the 1700s.
Researchers believe it was first seen in French casinos – although the game was played in a slightly different format. Back then, it was known as Vingt-et-un, which literally translates to “21”. Other gambling card games (including Chemin de Fer and French Ferme) are also believed to have helped contribute to the modern-day version of Blackjack as we know it.
Origins of Blackjack
Historians have also managed to trace the game directly to the French Royal Court, which was established under the reign of King Louis XV. However, it’s worth pointing out that the game is actually believed to date as far back as the Roman times. Experts believe the Romans played a similar version of Blackjack using wooden blocks – each containing a different number.
During the 1800s, many games were played – holding similarities to Blackjack – including the likes of Spanish Trente-Un, Italian Sette e Mezzo and French Quinze. While these games do hold similarities, they are fundamentally different. It’s worth bearing this in mind.
It was really during the 19th century that Blackjack as we know it today started to sweep the world. The game soon became popular in the United States. In 1820 – when New Orleans started to legalize state-sponsored gambling halls – Blackjack could be enjoyed by everyone. In the next century, it started to find its way to online casinos too. Many of the big-name casinos in Nevada started offering the game (then known as 21), and it didn’t take long for it to reach other nations and continents.
Today, Blackjack is one of the most frequently played casino table games on the planet. It’s available in a number of different variations, most of which can be enjoyed online or on your mobile.
Discover More In Mobile Blackjack
- Best Android Betting Apps
- Best Cash Out Betting Sites on Mobile
- Best Esports Betting Sites on Mobile
- Best Horse Racing Betting Apps
- Best In Play Betting Sites
- Best iPhone Betting Apps
- Best Offshore Sportsbooks & Betting Sites for US Players
- Best Virtual Betting Sites (Online and Mobile)
- Find The Best Betting Apps For Your Mobile
- Football Betting Apps
- Mobile Betting Sites With Live Streaming
- Best Casino Apps (For Real Money)
- Best Online Mobile Slots Apps & Sites
- Mobile Roulette Apps
- Real Money Mobile Craps Casinos
- Real Money Mobile Keno Games
- Video Poker Mobile Apps
- All American Video Poker: Strategy & How To Play
- An Introduction To Video Poker For Beginners
- Bonus Video Poker: Strategy & How To Play
- Deuces Wild Poker: Strategy & How To Play
- Double Bonus Poker: Strategy & How To Play
- How to Read a Video Poker Pay Table
- Jacks or Better Poker: How To Play
- Joker Poker: Strategy & How To Play
- Which Online & Mobile Casinos Accept PayPal?
- Responsible Gambling
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Terms of Service
- 50+ Common Blackjack Terms Explained - February 6, 2023
- Can Live Blackjack Dealers Hear You? (Your Privacy Matters!) - January 29, 2023
- Why do Blackjack Dealers Swipe the Table? - January 27, 2023
Last Updated on September 8, 2022